Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion ocellaris (darwin x black ice)  (Read 9971 times)
mrbigshot

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2013, 09:36:47 pm »

Code:
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General

Species: Amphiprion ocellaris darwin varient x black ice [darwin x snowflake orange ocellaris]
Social Structure:  pair
Size of Individuals: female is much larger at aprox 3" male is smaller at aprox 1.5"
Age of Individuals: female 4+ years, male aprox 13-16 months
Date added to Tank: female October/ male November 2012 very small when added. 1/2" aprox. to small to eat anything but tdo b2 or nls grow

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 12 gallon jbj nano cube dx
Substrate Details: bare bottom
Filtration Details: live rock
Water Changes:usually 10% weekly
Water Temperature: not sure, usually was around 79 f
Lighting: 2x ecoexotic panorama pro modules, nighttime is green led moonlights.
Lighting Cycle: 11 hours a day
Other Tank Inhabitants: snails ,palythoa and zoanthid corals

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: new life spectrum marine forumla pellets , once a month or so mysid shrimp, formula 2 frozen
Feeding Schedule: usually once daily. sometimes more if its my days off, now feeding 3+ times a day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: aprox 7-8-2013
Spawn Time of Day: unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 7-20-2012 @ 3:31pm, 8-1-2013, consistantly 3-4 days after hatch, latest 11/11/13

Courtship Details: heavy cleaning and practice laying procedures
Egg Size: 1-2mm
Egg Color: bright orange
Egg Count: aprox 131

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 7/17/2013, 8/10/13
Hatch Time of Day: 10:30pm, 3am (8-10-13)
# Days after Spawn: 9
Larvae Description: small silver/clear fish with orange stomachs 2-3mm

Larval Tank Details:
Temperature: 84 degrees
Size of Larval Tank: 10g aquarium
Substrate Details: bare
Other Tank Decor: walmart airstone
Filtration Details: ati sponge filter from ebay rated 30 gallon
Lighting: 4x1w e27 led 6500k white
Lighting Cycle: constant
Water Changes: none till meta

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: rotifers from day 1-7 ( first fish meta) otohime a from day 3, day 13 otohime b1
Feeding Schedule: otohime a few times a day, i will have my son feed them various times.

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:8-17-13
Days after Hatch: 7
Date of Settlement End:
Description of Fry: brown / dark orange with a single white headstripe

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature: 79f
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 10g aquarium
Substrate Details: bare
Other Tank Decor:30g ati sponge filter and a heater
Filtration Details:30g sponge filter
Lighting:4x1w 6700k led par lamp
Lighting Cycle:24h
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:3mm
Age at Transfer:9 days

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:otohime a,b1
Feeding Schedule:as many times a day as i can

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

eggs as of 7-10-2012

parents female is from matt peterson, male is from proaquatix
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:30:02 pm by mrbigshot » Logged
mrbigshot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 02:50:23 pm »

Around 60 eggs remaining. This is far more than i thought would last this long considering what the tank was going threw when i found them. I did a 75% waterchange and was doing some peroxide treating of the rock to clean it off when i pulled the pot to do it next i found the eggs. I belive this is the first clutch for the male and usually they eat them.

The female from matt was experenced so i belive this is helping. She doesnt tend the nest much but if the male starts being to rough with the eggs or mouths them like hes going to eat them the female bolts in to stop him usually by beating him with her tail. 

The remaing eggs are progressing well though. You can clearly see eyes in them. This pair has always been ment for breeding but i didnt think it would happen this soon. Was hoping they would lay after november when they were toghether for a year. The male is not much over a year if that at this point. I will let a few clutches hatch and work on various feeding scedules before rearing them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
mrbigshot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 11:57:53 am »

Eggs have been silver for the last 3 days. I have been turning the pumps off at dark the last few nights. Tonight is day 8 sence i found the eggs. Hopefully there is a hatching tonight.

mrbigshot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 07:06:30 pm »

Full hatch on 7/17/2013 starting about 2 hours after lights out
mrbigshot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 12:47:55 pm »

Put down a huge clutch yesterday afternoon. Time to start gwtting supllies i think

mrbigshot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:47:48 am »

mrbigshot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 01:15:00 pm »

Day 7 eggs remaining. Hatch night i believe is tommorow night if its the same as the first hatch.
Rotifers are culturing, brt filling, sponge filter is seeding in main tank and most supplys are purchased. Perhaps the next clutch i will attempt at rearing.

mrbigshot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:18:14 am »

mrbigshot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 07:10:32 pm »

Pulled the pot before work. Im pretty sure they arnt due till tommorow. the last hatch was 9 days. Id rather pull and lose them than try to get them out of the tank.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 10:53:59 pm »

Good luck, your'e doing great.  They should hatch consistently on schedule so long as water temps don't change.

You only need to raise one...

mrbigshot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 03:51:29 am »

no hatch last night. put the pot back in the tank and let the fish tend them all day until about 3am (kept the lights on). i pulled the pot again but noticed a very large portion of the hatch was eaten and there were still a bunch of white eggs. lost a few hundred eggs easy. the water temp in the brt was quite warm, exact temp was unknown but 86?. my digital thermometers got destroyed by my youngest. using a cheap mercury one from underground aquatics and trying to keep the tub about 4 degrees warmer than the tank for faster larval growth.

even if the remaining ones hatched its not many more than 150 i don't think. i really don't like the 5" airstone i got from walmart. it only bubbles from a few spots and its dependent on the angle its at. it doesn't sit flat at all. ill look for a better option on the next hatch.

i just hop the constant messing with the pot doesn't put my clowns on edge and make them stop laying for a bit. the tank needs maintenance and i hate to even mess with it for the same reason. there are some monster isopods in the tank (3/8") and i spotted a bristle worm that's easily 16+" in length (that's what was exposed) that's big and keep on mind this is a 12 gallon cube so there isn't room for those critters.

its practice and i need that. getting tired of the rotifer maintenance lol
mrbigshot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 04:12:53 am »

checked the brt about an hour after putting the eggs in it and there are a few babies swimming around. can't get a picture of them but hopefully they will be a fair bit more in the am.
mrbigshot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 07:13:00 pm »

Only few hatched last night. Kept the pot in there today but i doubt much if any more will hatch. The parents are cleaning the new pot so ill try on The next hatch. Theres was still a few swiming around when i went to work so i added some rotigreen from mike and some rotifers from ebay,mike, and reed.

The kids liked them but theres so few swimming around you can hardly see them.

mrbigshot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 09:43:30 pm »

I think only 2 have survived the first 36 hours. They are hunting rotifers. Not sure i will keep them

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 11:33:04 pm »

A couple things I didn't do at first that really helped; for the first two or three night leave the light on 24 hours, it allows for more feeding; also don't underestimate the amount that evaporates from the BRT, keep topping off in tiny amounts. Good luck keep trying!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Valid XHTML 1.0! Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
Beyaz inci: deruni
Valid CSS!