Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Moina Salina  (Read 18159 times)
MDoty

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2012, 11:25:09 am »

Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Moina Salina
Species description: A large free swimming cladoceran similar to Daphnia
Culture source (link if possible): www.algagen.com www.liveaquaria.com
If algae, CCMP # (Optional):  
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date: 3/31/12
Continuation Date:

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity: 1.020
Temperature: room temp mid 60's
pH: 8- 8.2

Vessel description:  plastic storage box with lid, 6 quarts filled half way
Lighting description:  room lighting, no specific lighting
Lighting cycle:  none
Aeration description:  steady bubble from an air stone

Methodologies
Split methodology: I havnt split yet but I plan to just pore some into a new container and add water made to 1.020. I will harvest with a filter made of filter floss and pvc plastic, pore though to collect and back pore into tank.

Culture medium description:I dose with equal parts chloramX and Phyco Pure reef blend from Algagen. I use about ten drops of each which turns out to be between .25 and .5 ml with my pipet. I also use isochrysis at the same dosage as the phyco pure, I am alternating every other day. As the culture ramps up ill add more of each.
(this could range, example with algae could be “10ml per l of guillards F formulation” or with A. tonsa it would be more like “300ml per day of algal mixture containing gymnodynium, tetraselmis, isochrysis, and rhodomonas” )

Cell count: From the best counting I can do it looks like I have about 50
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes:  

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:33:45 pm by MDoty » Logged

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:33:01 am »

I have two plastic storage boxes that have been set up with new air lines and air stones. The containers are transparent and have dark lids that don't allow light through. To acclimate them I let the bottle stand with the lid open for a day. Then I poured them into the new containers and added a slow drip of fresh saltwater made to a salinity of 1.020. For the first attempt I am trying room temp, low to mid 60's right now. I am starting the culture feeding with Phyco Pure, as recommended by Algagen. I plan to experiment a bit with the feeding if the culture establishes.

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 11:41:54 am »

pics of the containers for the culture and the shipping bottle they came in

* photo-32.JPG (27.92 KB, 320x240 - viewed 316 times.)

* photo-33.JPG (28.43 KB, 320x240 - viewed 330 times.)

* photo-34.JPG (39.19 KB, 320x240 - viewed 346 times.)

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 11:44:36 am »

I might have to get my hands on a microscope for these.
http://youtu.be/da19xWkJgLo

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 01:59:28 pm »

Mike, if you want my old one, I am probably due for a new one..at minimum you can borrow it as I'm not using it!

You only need to raise one...

mrhaglund

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 08:35:36 pm »

Hate to butt in but looking for one myself Matt. PM me on how much you need for your scope. Also I made 4 seives out of that material you gave me, 4" dia. 6" tall.  I"d like to keep 2, I'll give 2 back to ya.  Wink

Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 01:39:50 pm »

Matt, I would love to barrow it and possible buy it if Matt H doesn't. Im still adding water to there box slowly dripping it in, I think ill fill it today.

mrhaglund

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 06:07:04 pm »

Mike, how about I buy the scope from Matt and you can come over to my place any time you need to use it. This way it won't cost you anything but a little gas.  Smiley

Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 10:22:01 pm »

Mike, how about I buy the scope from Matt and you can come over to my place any time you need to use it. This way it won't cost you anything but a little gas.  Smiley
sounds good, maybe i can borrow it first and get some pics done.

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 10:24:13 pm »

Day four and they are still swimming! Here is a pic of the set up I used to acclimate them. I had the drip going so slow that it took until this morning to fill the container half way, nice slow acclimation.

* photo-37.JPG (37.73 KB, 320x240 - viewed 330 times.)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:59:27 pm by MDoty » Logged

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 11:11:51 pm »

Its been about a week now and it seems like the culture is doing well maybe even increasing. I am doing a water change by syphoning out water through a filter floss and then dripping in more fresh salt water that is made to 1.020. The plan  is to do this at least once a week.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 10:58:23 am »

Its been about a week now and it seems like the culture is doing well maybe even increasing. I am doing a water change by syphoning out water through a filter floss and then dripping in more fresh salt water that is made to 1.020. The plan  is to do this at least once a week.

What are you feeding?

You only need to raise one...

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 11:40:27 am »

Phyco pure reef blend from algagen. Or do you mean what will I be feeding the Moina to? I don't know yet, but that just means I'll have to get something new Wink like some seahorses maybe

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 04:35:50 pm »

I realized that I should be using the phyco pure copepod blend instead of the reef blend so I am now alternating the feeding every other day with isochrysis.

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2012, 04:37:26 pm »

10 times magnification

* moina_10x1.jpg (40.7 KB, 512x384 - viewed 321 times.)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Valid XHTML 1.0! Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
Beyaz inci: deruni
Valid CSS!