Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike's projects  (Read 8315 times)
MDoty

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:44:09 pm »

In my breeding journal for my maroon clowns I stated that I'm doing a few changes to my fish room to make things easier. I thought since this will be an on going project of mini projects, i would start a project thread. First thing that had to change was I needed a better way to make up water for water changes. The way I was doing it was using a five gallon bucket. I was always in limbo making water doing a water change and then making water. I just couldn't keep up, nor could I do a larger water change without having more than one bucket going. This leads into my next problem. I couldn't do all that I wanted to do because I was very limited on electrical outlets. I didn't have an outlet in my fish room so I have been running an extension cord in from the next room over.
Solutions,I got a 20 gallon bucket for water changes, and a hose hooked up to my sink to fill it with. I wish I had done this a long time ago! The electrical problem was a bit more complicated than that but, turns out my neighbor went to school to be an electrician but is laid off for the winter (score!). Yesterday we installed three double outlets hooked up to their own circuit breaker.
My next plan is to either build or buy another stand so that I have room for more than one set of babies at a time and maybe room for some more food items. Stand by on that one it might be a bit till I can get this done.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:08:53 am by MDoty » Logged

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:52:41 pm »

The single outlet with a black cord is what I was using to run my rats nest of outlets. This often meant that I would have to unplug one cord so I could use something different, it was a juggle between what was more important. Now I have these double outlets that have their own circuit and are GFI. I color coded them so that I would be able to identify plugs easier, more so I could ID cords for someone that might be watching my fish should I ever be out of town.

* photo-30.JPG (35.21 KB, 320x240 - viewed 222 times.)

* photo-29.JPG (37.22 KB, 320x240 - viewed 207 times.)

* photo-28.JPG (28.69 KB, 320x240 - viewed 231 times.)

mrhaglund

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 06:04:58 pm »

Organization is nice! Did you have room for a 44 gal. Brute trash can like Matt P. uses? They work great not only for mixing/airiating and heating salt water but for water changes. I put them on a cart and use them for water changes on large tanks. Wheel them to where ever and dump or pump the water out, mix up the new water and pump it back into the tank(s).

Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 07:01:14 pm »

I got a 20 gallon brute, I also got the wheels. Its really nice to push it over to the sink then push it back, easy is good!

Pumbooris

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:23:02 pm »

do you have a ro/di? or do you use the water conditioner stuff to make the water good for your tanks?
MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 12:08:53 am »

The RO/DI is on my list to get. Right now I use chloramX from reed mariculture.

mrhaglund

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 07:32:37 am »

Since you do not yet have an RO/DI, before you buy one you should look into this-
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/kati_ani_di-onizer.htm
If I ever get a new water purification system I think this would be it. No waste water and it removes phosphates out of the water which I'm not sure if RO does? Plus I think it leaves the calcium of tap water, in? I'm not 100% sure on any of this, like I said look into it with Jim.   Smiley

Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
filterguys

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 02:59:04 pm »

Mike be glad to help you anytime with RO/DI. I would also like to come and see your fish rearing setup before I start building mine. I had a chance to look at Live Aquarias rearing setup on Saturday and it looks very basic.

Jim
MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 03:09:06 pm »

Jim, my set up is not really set up at the moment but your welcome anytime. I'm home almost everyday, I work nights. I have some babies that will be hatching tonight and some in a couple days so I'll set them up so you have somthing to look at. As for a RO/ DI I'm thinking in about a week or two, and I have no knowledge on them. PM me to make plans.

mrhaglund

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 07:18:29 pm »

Any thought on the kati/ani de-ionizer other than Jim's web page shows the two smaller models out of stock? Never have to buy new membranes and 0 gallons of waste water! What do you think of these Jim in comparison to RO/DI?

filterguys

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 10:43:54 pm »

Kati Ani systems are very poor sellers and always have been in the USA. Guys juat don't like the acid and lye regeneration. My supply vender is more or less out of business due to the poor economy. I was his best retail outlet and sales were not that impressive compared to RO/DI systems.

Jim
MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 11:29:32 am »

My fish room is taking a bit of a side step this week. I have been wanting to try a pure culture of rotifers ( mine has a good amount of tigger pods in it ) so I now am set up with new buckets and new airline and equipment just for rotifers. And since I had to order them I might as well make good use of the shipping cost and get something new. I also got some ReefPods Moina salina ( saltwater daphnia). They should be a challenge but I figure worth the try. New breeding journal coming soon.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 05:25:37 pm »

You are so addicted Smiley

You only need to raise one...

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 10:26:12 am »

A busy night of collecting babies really showed why this foot work was needed. I needed to set up some maroon babies on the fly and having the extra pre made saltwater, more space and more outlets all came in helpful. I even had the chance to test out the GFI outlets. I was messing with a light that isn't working properly and it sparked causing all the outlets to trip, I reset them and all is running again.

mrhaglund

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 01:01:55 pm »

How many Maroon's do you think you collected from last nights hatch?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Valid XHTML 1.0! Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
Beyaz inci: deruni
Valid CSS!