Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: My 55 gallon overhaul!  (Read 11428 times)
Pumbooris

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2012, 12:12:29 am »

That's right!  Ive started upgrading for a new 55 gallon with built in overflow that mrhaglund found and was nice enough to offer it to me!  so that being said I decided since I was having a canopy made I decided to build a whole new stand along with it BUT I have designed it so that I can upgrade to a 75/90/110H whenever we buy a house and I can afford to do so.  So now that I will have more than 10" of cabinet space so now I can build my own sump, I'm sure I'm going to want to upgrade in the future but for now I'm going to use a 20H that I already have for a sump....how should I lay out that baffles? and how high should they be?  I was thinking of having just one large area for the sump with 3 baffles then the area for the return. Any suggestions?  Next is lighting Cool....I got myself 2 20"x6" black heatsinks, 18 royal blue CREE leds, 6 blue CREE leds, and 12 cool white CREE leds,80 degree optics, 3 dimmible meanwell drivers and I'm going to make my own dimmer box with a bunch of stuff I got from radioshack.  I also plan on adding a couple UV, green, cyan, red, and warm white leds so I can try and get all the levels of the color spectrum.  one thing I would really like to have with this is auto top off....does anybody have any good info on this and any good brands to check out???  Well by tomorrow I should have the frame of the stand complete and hopefully if fed-ex is on time with delivery Ill have some new equipment (mp10es,magdrive7pump) and as soon as the stand is built the led build will start.  Pictures will be up soon too just gotta get some good ones!
mrhaglund

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:56:56 am »

Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
mrhaglund

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 02:26:16 am »

Looks pretty much like I said. You only can bear this tank on 3/4" on the corner w/ the overflow to make room for the plumbing.  Your drain line is 1" and return is 3/4".  Both bulk heads have female pipe thread on bottom side so you can take off the fittings you see and do what ever you want to get the drain line down and return line back. A drain line straight down and a flexable PVC or poly line back from the return pump will be the easiest. Make the return line 1" with the correct barbed fittings.  That will be 1/2" FMPT to 1" barb for comming out of the Danner Model 7 and 1" barb to 3/4" MPT going into the bulk head of the tank. If your store doesn't have that first fitting you will have to get a 1/2" FMPT to 3/4"MPT bushing and the a 3/4" FMPT to 1" barb.  Menards is your best bet. Wink

Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Pumbooris

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 11:07:16 am »

I cant wait!!!!  whats the thing on the back glass...kinda looks like a powercord and a long black bracket?   ill put up pictures tonight of the stand building progress!
also what kind of paint would i get because im thinking of painting the back black when i get it....or maybe blue.... any suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:08:49 am by Pumbooris » Logged
mrhaglund

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:19:18 am »

I cant wait!!!!  whats the thing on the back glass...kinda looks like a powercord and a long black bracket?   ill put up pictures tonight of the stand building progress!
also what kind of paint would i get because im thinking of painting the back black when i get it....or maybe blue.... any suggestions?
You're just seeing another tank thru the back glass of the 55 and the power cord is from the light hanging off the other tank. Black or blue spray paint will work. Rustoleum seems to be the best brand with the nicest coverage and I, myself prefer blue.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 11:56:28 am »

Interesting side note - I use Rustoleum too...but I use the one you brush on (and put it on the OUTSIDE, just FYI Wink ).  However, James Fatheree made a very interesting observation about tank backgrounds and their effect on tank lighting.  The glass of a tank can actually reflect light back into the tank as it tries to escape, thereby raising PAR.  Each surface of the glass reflects some light back.  If you PAINT the outside, you lose one of those surfaces of reflection.  But if you don't paint, and instead use something like those backgrounds you buy by the foot, you get the maximum benefits of the reflection. Now, it may be a moot point if you're just going to aquascape the tank as a rock wall, but you may want to think about that small little token of found efficiency.  Oh, and these findings further created a compelling argument for keeping all your glass surfaces CLEAN (algal growth cuts down on the reflection and thus, the efficiencies gained).

You only need to raise one...

Pumbooris

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 12:40:29 am »

well today was a pretty good day in my book!  I got all the pieces cut out for my stand today and the bottom section all put together so by tomorrow i should have the legs and the top part of the stand (where the tank sits) attached to the bottom and then hopefully I will have finished the back section of it that will take up the extra 6" that will be open behind the 55.  I plan on mounting my led drivers in the back area as well.  The other awsome part was that my mp10 and mag7 came today...and the best part about that is when i opened my box from dfs I expected to see the mp10 es that i ordered but instead i see a mp10w es! SCORE!!!! i also got a pic of the led stuff that im going to start building once the stand is closer to done!
Pumbooris

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 12:41:29 am »

leds

* 058.JPG (112.03 KB, 350x208 - viewed 275 times.)

* 062.JPG (106.26 KB, 350x230 - viewed 280 times.)
mrbigshot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:41:33 am »

nice score but isn't wireless worthless without a second pump or a controller like an apex with a wxm.
Pumbooris

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 06:05:07 pm »

yea thats why i ordered the non wireless pump to start with but im glad their mistake worked out in my favor!!!! new progress photos of the stand will be up shortly!!!! Cool
Pumbooris

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 09:36:00 pm »

well I tried to add the pictures of the stand but the website says the uploader is full when i try to post them!  Angry
Pumbooris

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 10:44:51 pm »

I got frame of the stand complete today now I just have to make the canopy, the back wall thingy to fill the gap , and I need to figure out what I'm going to skin it with....anyone have any ideas/suggestions? 

* 008.JPG (131.16 KB, 350x265 - viewed 257 times.)
mrhaglund

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 05:47:58 pm »

Skin it with whatever fits into your room decore. Leather, copper, stainless steal, colored acrylic, how about glass like they use on shower doors, that you really can't see thru, so if you had a refugium with a light, the stand would just glow! Oh yea, and there's wood which I know is what you were you were getting at, but a guy can dream right. Wink There again pick out something that goes with the room or your furniture. Or if you hate your furniture, but have a look or idea in your head on what you want someday down the road. Start with you tank on that look.

Pumbooris

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 04:51:12 pm »

well today i got some wood flooring from lumber liquidators to skin the stand with...i got a really sweet deal on it! I paid $6.59 for 32 square feet (0.19 a square foot) and the stuff retails in the store for $2.99!  so if anyone in the Duluth area needs some new flooring go down and see Chad (manager) and tell him Ben sent you and he will give you a deal you cannot refuse!!!
mrhaglund

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 02:44:57 pm »

How's this project comming?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Valid XHTML 1.0! Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
Beyaz inci: deruni
Valid CSS!