Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding Journal, Species: Mieacanthus bundoon (Bundoon Blenny)  (Read 14915 times)
mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:31:56 am »

Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General

Species: Mieacanthus bundoon, the Bundoon Blenny.  Supposedly these came from Tonga.
Social Structure: Polygamous Psuedo-Harem.  Started as 2m/2f, 1 male jumped, currently 1m/1f as of 10-8-2010
Size of Individuals: Maybe 3.25" to possibly as much as 4" on the male?  Really need to hold a ruler to the tank!
Age of Individuals: Unknown, wild caught.
Date added to Tank: 7/13/2010

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 37 gallon
Substrate Details: several inches of live sand
Filtration Details: Large hang on protein skimmer, smaller Hagen Aquaclear hang on filter
Water Changes: 5 gallons a week on average
Water Temperature: 80F
Lighting: Single 22 watt 5000K Daylight Flourescent in a clamp light (the strip light fried...)
Lighting Cycle: Manual.  Generally from 9 or 10 AM to 11 PM to 2 AM?
Other Tank Inhabitants: Maroon Clownfish Pair, Harlequin Filefish Pair

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: They started out on Rod's Eggs and Nutramar Ova, and now take anything thrown in the tank including pellets, flakes, frozen brine and mysis of multiple types, Rod's Food, Formula 1 and 2, Grated Squid etc...
Feeding Schedule: At least 2 but usually 3 feedings per day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:Not 100% sure, but discovered the next on 10-7-2010
Spawn Time of Day:Unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 11/03/2010, 11-13-2010
Courtship Details:Unknown as it was not observed.  In general, the larger, thinner male, makes fin flaring displays to the females where his color darkens.  HOWEVER, this may not be courtship, more general social structure reinforcement
Egg Size:Ever so slightly smaller than a clownfish egg.  Maybe 2-3 mm?
Egg Color: Bright Red
Egg Count: A couple hundred

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 11-27-2010 on the spawn from 11-13-2010
Hatch Time of Day: morning and ongoing through the day
# Days after Spawn: 14
Larvae Description: Big Head, HUGE head, the rest of the body long and very thin.  4.5 mm is the size at hatch

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: Batch #2 is set at 80F
Size of Larval Tank: 16 gallon black round tub
Substrate Details: none
Other Tank Decor: none
Filtration Details: initially, none.  Gradually will be brought online onto larval rearing system which as biological filtration, carbon, and protein skimming
Lighting: 22 watt compact flourescent in a clamp light
Lighting Cycle: constant
Water Changes: none initially

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: Intiially using greenwater technique with RotiGreen and L Strain Rotifers
Feeding Schedule: constantly available, added as needed to keep densities up.

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 12-19-2010
Days after Hatch: 22
Date of Settlement End: 1-5-2011 to 1-11-2011
Description of Fry: Settlement was very drawn out, as much as 23 days.  I'm marking it as completed when the black lyretail coloration shows up.

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature: Set for 80F, but not always there
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 16 gallon black round tub through settlement, then the one sole survivor in my initial runs was moved to a breeder net
Substrate Details: none
Other Tank Decor: none
Filtration Details: central filtration with carbon, bioballs, live rock and protein skimmer
Lighting: 2 48" daylight bulbs, normal flourescent types in a shop light
Lighting Cycle: manual, roughly 12 on, 12 off
Water Changes: maybe 10% weekly
Size at Transfer: 16 mm
Age at Transfer: 1.5 months

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: Otohime B1 / B2, Crushed Formula 1 Flake, Freeze Dried Cyclopeze, Live enriched brine shrimp (babies), Tigriops copepods.
Feeding Schedule: 3 times daily

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 12:42:15 am by mpedersen » Logged

You only need to raise one...

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 03:30:51 pm »

So here's some pictures of the broodstock, and the eggs, shot last night (10-7-2010)

The Harem:

The Male:

One of the females, and possibly the one that spawned?

Or is this one the one that just spawned?

The male and one of his females:

Another look at the Bundoons from the end of the tank

Male in his pipe with the eggs..look closely at the top..

Another look at the eggs, with the male looming up towards the sky:

And finally, a solid closeup of the eggs.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 01:16:25 am »

10-10-2010, 1:15 AM - This evening, I checked, and the eggs are simply gone.  Either they were older than I thought and hatched (I don't think so) or the male ate them (more likely).

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 12:49:20 am »

11-3-2010 - 11:59 PM - OK, I"m putting this in with the aforementioned date because these had to have been spawned before the date rolled over into 11-4 when I'm actually posting this.  Yes, you read it right.  My second spawn of Bundoons.   I think I'm not even going to chance it, but instead will pull the PVC pipe with the nest and incubate it separately.  I'll give them a nice clean nesting tube replacement.  Based on what I've read of Blenny eggs, they should require virutally NO "care" during incubation.  Would love to add another species to my tally...!  Will take some pix of this next nest if time permits tonight.

Matt

Nannook
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 06:19:44 am »

SO cool Matt, you da man! 

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 09:54:02 am »

11-4-2010 - 2:40 AM - took an empty BRT on the larval system, cleaned it, drained it, wiped it down with over the counter Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) - rinsed with hot water twice.  Soaked the heater and air feed in hot water + Hydrogen Peroxide for a bit as well, rinsed those too.  Reinstalled the BRT.  Added in 4 gallons of broodstock water + the pipe.  One end is situated near the airstone in the hopes that will draw water through the pipe slowly.  Now we wait!

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:57:12 pm »

11-14-2010 - 8:55 PM

Tonight better be the night...eggs are still there, eyed up, but have not yet hatched.  Technically this would be the 10th night tonight, and most Meiacanthus eggs are reported to hatch in 8-10 days.

Saturday night, 11-13-2010, I found another new spawn, which I immediately grabbed and have set up for incubation as well in the larval system.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 11:09:17 am »

11-15-2010 - 10:00 AM

NO HATCH yet.  GRR!

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 01:03:56 pm »

11-16-2010 - 12:00 PM

STILL no hatch.  Thinking maybe the eggs died, but if I look at them, some are still back and red.  I opted to tilt the pvc pipe up slightly and run a stream of air bubbles through it from an airstone.  Maybe they need agitation for the hatch.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 10:11:24 pm »

11-20-2010 - 9:00 PM

Got home from Chicago around 6:00 PM.  Left on 11-17-2010.  Somewhere between then and now, a few Bundoon Blennies HATCHED.  Renee didn't notice them.  So, when I got home today, I saw them, added an uncounted number of drops of RotiGreen, 2 gallons of Rotifers seived at 23 microns, and had to add in a whole 1/2 gallon of RO to make up for the evaporation just to bring 'em back to 4 gallons.  Don't know how this is all going to turn out given the larvae may have been starving for days.  HMM.  I'll pull one this evening if I can just to get proof.

This means incubation time was between 14 and 17 days!!!! HMMM.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 12:56:32 am »

Photos, shot late tonight, 11-20-2010.  These could be anywhere from 0 to 3 days post hatch.  There are still "eggs" in the tube that look "viable", so this may actually be close to 0 days post hatch?!

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 03:06:39 am »

11-25-2010 - 2:05 AM

First batch - can't say there are any babies alive from the first batch.

Second batch - no hatch yet, so I took the BRT basically offline (several drips of water per second), added a 100 watt heater, and put the airstone into the PVC tube, resting diagonally, to hopefully bring things to conclusion (aka. hatch).

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 06:59:56 pm »

11-27-2010, 6:00 PM

Batch 1 - there is STILL one baby alive, verified, in batch one.

Batch 2 - Partial hatch overnight on batch 2...it literally looked like 50% of the pipe hatched, and it seems to be the 50% that had air bubbles running directly over the eggs.  So it would seem that aggitation is required for hatching.  I rotated the pipe so that the other eggs would have direct contact with the air..hopefully more will hatch out if they haven't already.  Again, this looked like 14 days from spawn to hatch.  Crazy.  I wouldn't believe it were I not seeing it myself, firsthand.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 01:30:24 am »

Tonight, the only thing I did to the new hatch was again reset the pipe - more babies had hatched during the day with the air going over the eggs...either that or they died, deconnected, and fell to the bottom of the BRT.  The BRT itself is running almost full, 15+ gallons, and got 80+ drops of RotiGreen in the AM with 40 drops of ChloramX.  It got a gallon's worth of Rotifers when I found the hatch, and this evening, another 2.5 gallons worth of rotifers was seived out of the cultures.  With ambient room temps around 60F, rotifer cultures are going "slow" Wink

So strangely, it does seem that the first hatch likely was indeed 14-17 days given that this one was, without a doubt, 14 days.  The "finger test" on the water in the system suggests the system is running at 74-76F...I have a slew of new heaters I need to install, or I just need to get my temps up in the basement as 60F is really going to suck a lot of electricity to keep the tanks at temp (also explains why I found 3 failed heaters in the last 24 hours).

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 12:03:36 am »

11-30-2010, 11:00 PM - Was doing work in the basement this evening, water changes on most of the tanks...

Batch 1 - Guess what - there's still at least 2 larvae alive and swimming.

Batch 2 - everything is simply looking great.

I'm continuing to dose with RotiGreen and ChloramX each evening as needed, as well as Rotifers as needed in Batch 2.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Valid XHTML 1.0! Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
Beyaz inci: deruni
Valid CSS!