Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis flavivertex (Sunrise Dottyback)  (Read 34501 times)
mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:52:10 pm »

Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General

Species: Pseudochromis flavivertex, the Red Sea Sunrise Dottyback
Social Structure: Male Female Pair
Size of Individuals: remarkably close, boht around 2.5-3"
Age of Individuals: both at least a couple years old.
Date added to Tank: Female was from a young pair purchased 12-30-2008.  One of the original pair simply vanished (presumed jumped).  Male came as an individual purchased 11 months later from a local hobbyist, towards the end of 11/2009.

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 24 gallon nanocube
Substrate Details: 2"+ of live sand
Filtration Details: stock nanocube filtration
Water Changes: generally 25% weekly
Water Temperature: right now, maybe 78F..I've dialed back my heaters a bit but don't have thermometers on the tanks
Lighting: Currently a twin tube HO T5
Lighting Cycle: roughly 12 hours on, 12 hours off, on a timer
Other Tank Inhabitants: Currently 1 Green Mandarin, 1 Male Starkii Damselfish, 1 Harlequin Filefish, 1 M/F pair Scooter Blennies, 1 pair Vanuatu Pink Skunk Clownfish.

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:Pellets, Flakes, Frozen Mixes (i.e. Formula 1 & 2, Rod's Food), spirulina enriched brine shrimp, mysis (PE and Hikari), soaked in Selcon, Freeze Dried Tubifex (again, soaked in selcon), fish eggs (Rod's Eggs, Nutramar Ova).  Basically, I throw everything but the kitchen sink at my fish
Feeding Schedule: I try to feed at least 3 times a day, 4 or 5 preferred.

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:Not sure, but probably around September 16th, 2010
Spawn Time of Day: unknown, spawn was not observed
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 9/25/2010
Courtship Details: unknown, courtship was not observed
Egg Size: Small, 1 mm in diameter
Egg Color: clear
Egg Count: hundreds, all clumped together in a ball almost 1" in diameter

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:9-21-2010
Hatch Time of Day: just after midnight
# Days after Spawn: unknown,but based on what we know about this species, probably 9-16-2010 or so.
Larvae Description: clear, very little pigmentation

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 78F? (no thermometer)
Size of Larval Tank: 16 gallon black round tub
Substrate Details: none
Other Tank Decor: none
Filtration Details: none
Lighting: 100 watt equivalent 22 watt compact flourescent daylight in a reflector from home depot, initially hung very high above tank
Lighting Cycle: going to do 24 hours...
Water Changes: early on none, but once baby brine shrimp was offered, it rapidly approached 30% daily.

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:Initially started with L-Strain rotifers, grown on RotiGrow Plus and Greenwater Technique utilizing RotiGreen Omega.  Brine shrimp was introduced maybe a day or two late, and baby brine was carried through to settlement.
Feeding Schedule: constant with rotifers, gradually shifting to 4-6 times daily with baby brine

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 10-19-2010
Days after Hatch: 28
Date of Settlement End: 11-2-2010
Description of Fry: Settlement starts with babies utilizing pvc pipes which I added a few days before settlement was due to start.  Initially, they change from a pinkish to a goldish hue.

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature: 80F
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 16 gallon balck round tub initially
Substrate Details: none
Other Tank Decor: removed PVC pipes, tank is bare
Filtration Details: none initially, treating for disease outbreak in new system
Lighting: 22 watt Compact Flourescent 5500K in Clamp Light
Lighting Cycle: Manual, roughly 9 AM - 11 AM on to 11 PM - 2 AM off
Water Changes: 5 gallons, every other day initially
Size at Transfer: did not transfer
Age at Transfer: N/A

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: Otohime B1 and Crushed Formula 1 Flake Food initially
Feeding Schedule: at least 3 times per day

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:

My original start at documenting this project can be found on MOFIB at http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=211&t=4219 - amazing that it's taken almost 2 years before I finally catch a break on this species!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:32:37 am by mpedersen » Logged

You only need to raise one...

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 12:33:49 am »

9-19-2010 - so I found the eggs this evening by chance.  took pictures (I'll have to post later).  The eyes on the eggs were reflective, suggesting that they could be ready to hatch already.  So I hurriedly set up a 16 gallon black round tub, and I decided I would try to artificially incubate/hatch the eggs in a brine shrimp hatchery.  The hatchery is IN the BRT with almost 10 gallons of water, which will serve to keep the temperature correct while the eggs tumble and presumably hatch tonight.  I harvested the eggs from the male's cave by siphon, which break up the egg mass a bit.  I then had to transfer the eggs into the Brine Shrimp Hatchery incubator with a turkey baster, which further may have stressed some eggs.  Still, most looked good.  The egg mass looked 100% fertile.

Hopefully in the morning, all I'll need to do is just pour out the larvae.  SURPRISINGLY, the brine shrimp hatchery despite being made solely of plastic is BOUYANT - I had to weight it down with flowerpots piled up around the base.  Despite this drawback, I think this will work really well as an incubation method...the eggs never end up settling on the bottom but aren't agitated too heavily.

Pictures to come in the following hours and days...I have too much going on at the moment!

EDIT - adding the pictures in context. 

First, eggs in tank - yes,that gray blob center lower right is all I saw that tipped me off...I knew what to be looking for and where I thought it might pop up...

This is the tumbler in action...weighted down with flowerpots.  Not ideal..., but it worked better than the other tumbler I set up that night:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:07:07 pm by mpedersen » Logged

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:01:33 am »

So they did not hatch last night, so I'm hoping the eggs kept in the tumbling setup and hatch tonight.  I really should go sample them and take a few shots under the scope, but man I am so tired!

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 01:14:43 am »

Long story short, 9-21-2010, it's after midnight, and I pull out some eggs to check under the scope.  They turn out to be plenty viable still...

Vids of the 1 mm eggs:
60X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg0yKAn65P4
200X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY_wwL2pqjg

Images at 10X, 60X and 200X

...so I'm exporting all those images and I get ready to take the sample back downstairs...and I find this - they're HATCHING!

And thus, videos shot again.  Didn't take pictures..not sure why, but I should have hundreds of larvae.  Curiously, after shooting these vids, I returned the babies and unhatched eggs and there had NOT been any hatching in the "tumbler" yet.  Weird...

Sunrise Dottyback Hatching Videos:
10X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YewfcFB6ABE
60X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inLrSVe3RYc

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 01:40:47 am »

1:40 AM, 9-21-2010 - Added in about 50 drops of RotiGreen and 50 drops of liquid CloramX (prepped as 16 tsp into 1 L water).    There's about 10 gallons in the BRT at this point in time, and they were seeded 24 hours ago with sieved rotifers (passed through 120, collected with 23).  Still no hatch in the actual tumbler...weird.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 10:06:49 pm »

9-21-2010 - added in more RotiGreen this evening....hundreds of baby Flavivertex all over the BRT.  Looks like the brine shrimp hatchery made a better incubator than my other one (the vase, used for the bitaeniatus egg ball).

Interesting side note - the egg mass that was in pieces after harvesting magically gelled back together, and was still largely intact this morning.  There was a good hatch later in the morning, at which point I just dumped it all into the BRT.  Things are looking good at this point.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 10:21:43 am »

9-22-2010 - 10:00 AM - not sure what happened, but it looks like I lost a lot of babies?  Hard to say...it could have also been that the water cleared and the babies moved towards the bottom to compensate.  I added 40 drops of Rotigreen and about 30 drops of liquid cloramX to the BRT.  Also, I'm taking to moving the clamp lights UP during the day and at night, down directly on the BRTs...it might create a little bit of a reverse day cycle, but should allow for 24 hour feeding.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 11:06:33 pm »

9-22-2010 - 10:30 PM - 20 more drops of RotiGreen and ChloramX went into the BRT this evening.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 12:21:22 am »

9-23-2010

Around 12:00 PM, I ran downstairs to check on things and saw a great example of the "trout in a stream" larval behavior.  There were TONS of baby Sunrise Dottybacks, at 2.5 days post hatch, riding the currents and feeding as rotifers drifted by.  I made sure to get it on video - here it is on Youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXAdtTo7b4Q

And here's some pix of the "overnight" setup where I bring the light down onto the BRT overnight (like a reverse daylight), during the day the light is hanging from the ceiling.  These are 2.5 days post hatch.

After snapping these, added in 50 drops of RotiGreen!

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 01:33:08 am »

9-24-2010 - 1:30 AM - 3 days post hatch now, and time for bed!  The BRT was almost devoid of Rotifers tonight, so 4 gallons worth of rotifers were seived at 23 microns and fed in.  30 drops of Rotigreen, and 20 drops of ChloramX went in as well.  Also, topped off for evaporation a little.  It's really cool to see swarms of baby Dottybacks chasing down the light as I moved it over the water's surface!

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 10:43:59 pm »

9-24-2010 - 10:40 PM - I'm in the process of adding in about 3 gallons of clean new saltwater.  I added 40 drops of RotiGreen and 20 drops of the Liquid CloramX.  Overall, the water was almost clear after the extended time between adding algae.  Things are looking very good so far.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 12:20:45 am »

9-25-2010 - 12:15 AM - water was done, and it was already looking too clear, so I added another 30 drops of RotiGreen and 15 drops of chloramX.  There are loads of babies, but clearly some dead or dying ones in the mix...ones that are losing attitude control.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 11:02:56 pm »

9-25-2010 - This morning I harvested 2 gallons rotifers from the cultures and added them in.  30 drops of RotiGreen (water is still remarkably clear) and 15 drops of Chloram-X added as well.  This evening I've been dripping in the remaining gallon of clean new saltwater too.  Probably will have to add in RotiGreen yet again tonight.  Here's what they look like at 4 days post hatch:

I thought it might be wise to show how this makshift larval rearing setup is really working.  Yes, tubs just thrown on the floor...that's what happens when the larval rearing system you planned and bought all the parts for hasn't yet materialized!  What I really wanted to show is how the lights hang from the ceiling during the "day".

On another note, now that I know where they spawn, and I have their spawning location "secured" with a "back door" access panel for quick, sneaky checking, I was able to get you all this picture of the NEW SPAWN!

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 06:39:28 pm »

9-26-2010 - 6:40 PM - last night, late, I added in 40 drops of Rotigreen and 20 drops of ChloramX.  Today, around 2:00 PM, I had to add in another 50 drops of RotiGreen again!  I took some microscope images last night...need to post them.  Babies are looking GREAT and "BIG"...maybe as big as 5 MM now?!

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 08:48:30 pm »

Shot these videos and images yeterday, 9-25-2010, at 4 days post hatch

Videos:
10X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWuvD8luumQ
60X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuDRZVTACXE
200X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DnHfcYx2Gw

Photos, shot at 10X, 60X and 200X by a QX5 microscope: