Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding Journal, Species: Oxymonacanthus longirostris (Harlequin Filefish)  (Read 26445 times)
mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2010, 12:25:48 am »

Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General

Species: Oxymonacanthus longirostris, aka. the Harlequin or Orange Spotted Filefish
Social Structure: kept in male female pairs
Size of Individuals: both around 3"
Age of Individuals: unknown, wild caught
Date added to Tank: 2/19/2008

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 24 gallon Nanocube
Substrate Details: live sand
Filtration Details: stock Nanocube filtration
Water Changes: generally 25% weekly
Water Temperature: 80-82F typically
Lighting: stock Nanocube lighting, 2 36 watt 50/50 Power Compacts
Lighting Cycle: on a timer, generally 12-13 hours on
Other Tank Inhabitants: many, and they changed over time.  Tankmates surely included Synchiropus splendidus, S. ocellatus, Amphiprion ocellaris.

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Everything under the sun...ultimately these fish were fully trained onto prepared foods and would eat flake food, nibble pellets, loved frozen brine shrimp and mysis shrimp, live blackworms, grated squid, truly, you name it.  Always soaked foods with Super Selcon or Reef Plus
Feeding Schedule: at least 4-5 times per day...these guys required frequent feedings.

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: July 27th, 2008
Spawn Time of Day: Afternoon, typically around 4-6 PM
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: too many to list...at their peak, my spawning pair spawned DAILY.  First time I found eggs was October 1st, 2008.
Courtship Details: Male does a "flutter dive" display for the female.  Female's behavior is mostly algae ramming, which seems to be picking out a spawning location.  The female gets a white line from her mouth horizontally backwards, where the male's dorsal and anal fin become an opaque goldenrod coloration at the peak of his displays.  As spawning becomes imminent, the pair engages in "nuzzling", where the male chatters his mouth along the underside of the female's jaw.  Presumably, this nuzzling synchronizes the spawn.  The actual spawn lasts only a couple seconds, with the female thrusting her abdomen into the algae, and the male quickly coming in alongside to fertilize.  After that, no additional care is provided.
Egg Size: 0.8 mm
Egg Color: green with 20+ oil globules
Egg Count: a couple hundred per spawn

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: First time I hatched eggs was October 4th, 2008, from a spawn that occured on October 1st, 2008.
Hatch Time of Day: between 12:00 AM and 4:40 AM
# Days after Spawn: roughly 2.25 - basically in the 50-56 hour range after spawning
Larvae Description: Larvae is a prolarvae with bright green yolk sack.  About 2.7 mm in length

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 80F
Size of Larval Tank: plastic fish bowl, hanging in a 10 gallon tank for temperature control
Substrate Details: none
Other Tank Decor: none
Filtration Details: none
Lighting: small standard aquarium strip light
Lighting Cycle: constant
Water Changes: none initially, but up to 50% daily using water from broodstock tank

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: Rotifers in greenwater technique once larvae are 48 hours old.  Added Baby Brine Shrimp at 18 days post hatch.  In some rearing efforts, added Otohime A starting at 25 days post hatch with better results.  Believe weaning onto prepared foods must be accomplished by 35 days or it becomes very hard to get them off Baby Brine Shrimp (which is to their detriment).
Feeding Schedule: constant at first, gradually shifting to multilple feedings per day once trying dry food.

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: vague because this is a long process with these fish.  Possibly November 1st on my first baby, although others might say this was the end of Meta.
Days after Hatch: fish start looking like a true juvenile at 40 days post hatch, with actual full coloration and sleeping behavior started at 56 days or later.
Date of Settlement End: vague because this is a long process with these fish. Some people put it around November 1st, which was only 28 days post hatch.  I put it closer to 56 days post hatch, the first day I saw the baby sleeping.  I put the unequivocable settlement at November 28th, 2008, 55 days post hatch.
Description of Fry: When fully settled, they are perfect minatures of the adults.

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature: 80F
Size of Grow-Out Tank: a breeder net hanging in a 24 gallon nanocube
Substrate Details: net
Other Tank Decor: live rock and macroalgae
Filtration Details: filtation was provided by the larger tank's stock filtration system
Lighting: stock Nanocube lighting, 2 36 watt 50/50 Power Compacts
Lighting Cycle: generally 12-13 hours a day, on a timer
Water Changes: usually 25% per week
Size at Transfer: maybe 3/4"
Age at Transfer: 15 weeks

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: Otohime, Pellet Foods, Crushed Flake Food
Feeding Schedule: 3-4 times a day generally

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:

This project was originally documented here - http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=1922
Additionally, a solid 12 page article was published in the March/April 2009 edition of CORAL Magazine - the first couple paragraphs are here - http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/new-future-harlequin-filefish (order a back issue, and I THINK you can still get this article as a digital download too if you're a subscriber?)

The Broodstock Spawning Pair:

Sexing Montages (so you can tell how I tell male and female apart)

Male Ventral Flaps:

Female Ventral Flaps:

An actual spawn, caught on camera:

Videos of courtship and spawn

Algae Ramming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXMNTOXaT0I

The Male Flicker Display (per George Barlow, a "Flutter Dive" display)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnPdrQVUWM

Female Flicker Display and Courtship Dress (per Barlow, the female's "Flutter Dive" display)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3AZBi0r0So

The Curtsey (Barlow makes no mention of this behavior)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlnfD1Q_HEQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o3iw8nZrVI

Intense Courtship
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoL63_1JbLg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhSoOHc_hdk

Spawning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IbibAEwHNU

Egg Image - first collection of eggs on October 1st, 2008, around 8 PM or so...
0 hours post spawn:

another, later spawn, found in a patch of hair algae

50 hours post spawn:

Hatch - first was October 4th, 2008, somewhere between 12:00 AM and 4:40 AM
Newly hatched, 0 hours post hatch (maybe 56 hours after being spawned)

Initial Larval Setup

fully filled, with "rotifer diet" for greenwater

Larva at 52 hours post hatch:

62 hours post hatch, feeding

89 hours post hatch

236.5 hours post hatch

307 hours post hatch

500 hours post hatch

574 hours post hatch

592.5 hours post hatch

615 hours post hatch

668 hours post hatch - called end of meta by some

740 hours post hatch

882 hours post hatch

956.5 hours post hatch - approximately 40 days, 11-13-2008, at the size range that George Barlow says new juveniles show up on the reef

981.75 hours post hatch

1004.5 hours post hatch

1102.5 hours post hatch

1125 hours post hatch

1149 hours post hatch

1220.5 hours post hatch

1288 hours post hatch

1291 hours post hatch

1338 hours post hatch

Settlement occurred on 11/28/2008, technically 55 days post hatch when I first noticed the baby sleeping...I've tended to remark this is 56 days because seeing it happen again on the morning of 11/29/2008, 56+ days post hatch, is when I officially proclaimed it in my journal!

1413.75 hours post hatch (58.9 days, with another younger one from the second run)

Juvenile Pictures!

88 (bottom right), 56 (bottom left) and 40 days post hatch

First run baby only made it to 93 days...a bit shy of the required 60 days post hatch.  I blame it on the inability to wean onto foods other than Baby Brine Shrimp.

74 and 60 days post hatch (batches #2 and #3)

106 and 92 days post hatch.

After taking these pictures, the babies were moved from their "fishbowl" to a breeder net hanging in the parent's tank.  I never bothered to photograph them again, as I had moved on to working on future spawns and documenting their development.  The baby from the 3rd batch lived to about 4 months before jumping.  the 2nd baby lasted the longest, to 6 months and 1.25" inches in length, before succumbing to Amyloodinium

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:41:15 am by mpedersen » Logged

You only need to raise one...

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 01:13:14 am »

Updating this journal with ONE final entry for now until I have a new spawning pair of these.  I needed a photograph that is beyond 60 days post settlement for the MBI.  Technically I did not have one, as I had moved on to other batches and was more worried about documenting daily development under a microscope. 

When the last baby died at 6 months, I pulled it and froze it. Now, over a year later, surviving first a move from Chicago to Duluth and then a second move within Duluth, I pulled it out of the freezer last night and let it thaw.  I photographed it tonight, and so here it is, a dead specimen yes, but a 6 month old Captive Bred Harlequin Filefish.  Standard length was 34 mm, or 3.4 cm, aka. 1.3 inches.  Total length is 39mm / 3.9 cm, or 1.5 inches.  At six months of age, this fish was fully "market size".

I cannot wait to rear these by the hundreds.  I know how.  It will simply take my patience and determination to get us there again.

You only need to raise one...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Valid XHTML 1.0! Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
Beyaz inci: deruni
Valid CSS!