Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding Journal, Species: Pseudochromis bitaeniatus (Double Lined Dottyback)  (Read 27103 times)
mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2010, 12:29:09 am »

Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General

Species:Pseudochromis bitaeniatus
Social Structure: pair
Size of Individuals: Presumed male is about 3".  Female is approximately 2".
Age of Individuals: unknown, wild caught
Date added to Tank: Approximately November 30th, 2009

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:10 gallons
Substrate Details: none
Filtration Details: internal Duetto power filter
Water Changes: 50% every couple weeks
Water Temperature: unknown, but probably around 80F
Lighting: Single standard "strip light" flourescent
Lighting Cycle: manual, not on timers.  Anywhere from 9-11 AM on, and generally after 12 AM off.
Other Tank Inhabitants:1 pair of Fire Clowns, Amphiprion ephippium

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Lately mostly Rod's Food and assorted pellets
Feeding Schedule: 2-3 times per day lately

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:8/11/2010
Spawn Time of Day:unknown
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 8/19/2010, 8/25/2010, 9/16/2010, 9/23/2010?, 10/03/2010
Courtship Details:not observed initially - it appears that the male may do a bit of a "wiggle dance" to entice the female into his "cave" (a PVC pipe section) where they then spawn.  Interestingly, the male does not always religiously tend the eggs.
Egg Size:1 mm in diameter, measured via QX5 scope
Egg Color: white / clear
Egg Count: hundreds, egg mass must be over 1" in diameter

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:9-21-2010
Hatch Time of Day: after 1:00 AM
# Days after Spawn: less than 5.  16th/17th is night #1, 17th/18th = #2, 18th/19th = #3, 19th/20th = #4, 20th/21st = #5, which is the night we are on now...but technically the 21st being after midnight.  So this hatches on the 5th night following spawning, the first "night" being on the date of the spawning, hours later.
Larvae Description:  Basically clear, fully formed and ready to go.  3.4 mm in length.

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: maybe 78F (no thermometer)
Size of Larval Tank: 16 gallon black round tub
Substrate Details: none
Other Tank Decor: none
Filtration Details: none
Lighting: 22 watt (100 watt equivalent) daylight compact flourescent in a metal reflector from home depot, hung from the ceiling.
Lighting Cycle: will probably be 24 hours...
Water Changes:

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: Initially Rotifers grown using RotiGrow Plus, in Greenwater Technique using RotiGreen Omega.  Added baby brine around day 12.
Feeding Schedule: Initially constant.

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 10/22/2010
Days after Hatch: 31 days
Date of Settlement End: unclear, last surviving juvenile was 10-29-2010
Description of Fry: Initially settled clear, hiding in PVC sections.  Last time I saw it, it was white with a yellow head.

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Grow-Out Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:
Age at Transfer:

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:

I originally posted about this fish on the MASM website at http://www.masm.org/mForums/tm.aspx?m=33056 - I picked up this pair from Fritz @ Saltwater Empire back at his Black Friday Sale, end of November, 2009.  8 months later, I finally confirmed my first spawn!  Here's some quick pix then and now...

Shortly after being added, in 2009:

Photos of the egg mass and presumed male guardian, found the evening of 8-11-2010:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:43:24 pm by mpedersen » Logged

You only need to raise one...

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 12:03:51 am »

Update!  By the morning of August 15th, the egg mass was gone.  Today, August 19th, I discovered another egg mass.  I don't recall checking late on the 18th, so it may have been there up to 24 hours.  If all goes well, I could have babies by next week!

I should note that I observed the smaller fish this week and I am pretty sure it is the female...the girth did go down today Wink
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 12:05:33 am by mpedersen » Logged

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:15:15 pm »

And this evening, no eggs in the tube.  Unless the male has moved them, they must have been eaten or infertile.  I may have to pull a batch to incubate if the next couple don't work out naturally.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:00:03 pm »

So tonight marks the 5th night that I have treated the broodstock tank with Maracyn SW (Erythromycin + B vitamins for appetite stimulant) - the female in this pair has some sort of wound or infection on her lower right jaw.  She always darts around so fast that I really can't get a look at it.  It is looking like Maracyn SW isn't really helping the thing, so I'm going to probably dose one more time tomorrow night with it to finish out the package (each sachet treats 20 gallons, so I've been splitting half each day...thus I opened my third today).  Big water change, and then maybe Maracyn II?  I'd really hate for this project to end in failure like most of my other Dottybacks have (of course, I could replace the female with another small wild caught fish most likely).

FWIW,

Matt

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 01:37:58 am »

8-25-2010 - 10:00 PM - 3rd spawn

Feeding the fish their evening meal, and I noticed the female was slim.  Sure enough, they have spawned again, and the male is resting on his "egg mass pillow" in the PVC pipe.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 12:14:19 am »

50% water change tonight (August 26) and the eggs are still in with the Male.  If they vanish this time, that's 3 strikes.  The female's infection/wound looks better...so I may not start using another Antibiotic just yet.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 07:43:10 pm »

So I checked on the evening of 8-28 and the eggs were gone.  Is it possible that they're hatching after only 3 days?  Possible, but not likely.  HMM.  But this probably means I'm going to have to come up with an alternate plan.

FWIW, the female's mouth/jaw wound / infection has pretty much healed although I have not tried any other medications besides the original Maracyn SW.

Obviously I'll be keeping a watchful eye on this pair of fish!

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 09:50:17 pm »

So, thursday evening I noticed a new egg mass, that was September 16th.  Tonight is September 19th, and upon returning home from a fly fishing trip I found that the egg mass is still there, possibly showing eyes, and appears to be more "flat" than "round".  ONLY ORA has successfully reared this species as far as I know, so we're still "guessing" on things.  I referenced http://fishtalpropagations.com/LarvalRearing.aspx (thanks Tal) which suggests the 4th night after the spawn being hatch night, which would mean that if Pseudochromis bitaeniatus follows Ps. fridmani, then tonight could be hatch night for my dottybacks.  I'm going to take a closer look here in a few and figure out what I'm going to do...

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 12:36:01 am »

9-19-2010 - just before midnight I got a 16 gallon Black Round Tub set up and prepared for an artificial hatch.  I'm using the tall vase I originally set up for my Banggai Cardinalfish incubations...I'm driving it with air so I don't have larvae spilling over into the BRT and then going through the pump.  To harvest the eggs, I just put the tall vase in the broodstock tank and inserted the PVC, then gently lifted.  The eggs came out in one big sheet almost 2" in diameter, and maybe 3-4 mm in thickness (eggs were maybe 1 mm thick).  I should mention that maybe 5% of the eggs were white / unfertilized.

Pix to come later...I need sleep!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:46:50 am by mpedersen » Logged

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 12:01:25 am »

So they did not hatch last night, so I'm hoping the eggs kept in the tumbling setup and hatch tonight.  I really should go sample them and take a few shots under the scope, but man I am so tired!

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 01:07:08 am »

9-21-2010 - after midnight (1:00 AM at this time).

Just after midnight I made the call that I would check the eggs and I'm glad I did...despite what I thought was perhaps inadequate aeration, they eggs are very viable.  They should definitely hatch overnight!  Here's videos and images of the 1 mm eggs just before hatch.

Videos:
10X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idYnkPsyb9k
60X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwExNP3mvqA
200X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmdpDqMDzII

Images at 10X, 60X and 200X

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 02:12:15 am »

9-21-2010 - after 1:10 AM, we have a hatch!  I filled up the BRT with 5 gallons of freshly mixed artificial saltwater...there was already around 3 gallons of broodstock water in there, plus it had been seeded with a few gallons of size sorted rotifers (seived through 120 microns, collected with 23 and used that to start off).  Added 50 drops of RotiGreen and 50 drops of liquid CloramX (prepped as 16 tsp powder to 1L water).

As near as I could measure with the QX5, this larvae is 3.4 mm in length. 

Here's pix and vids...I'm not the first in the world (ORA has reared this species) but I might very well be on my way to the #2 slot Wink  I REALLY want to rear this species!!!

Video

10X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLjTP41MSto
60X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McaUZrrQEZA

Images at 10X and 60X

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:14:27 am by mpedersen » Logged

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 10:08:06 pm »

9-21-2010

So this morning, the egg mass had not hatched much at all, maybe one or two babies in the vase.  I upped the air, checked around noon, still no hatch, and the egg mass was opaquely white.  Basically all the babies had died.

This evening, I looked, and I spotted at least 3 larvae in the BRT.  It's a long shot, but it is still possible / conceivable that I could get a baby or two out of this run.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 10:20:08 am »

9-22-2010

this morning, counted at least 6 larvae in the black round tub.  Nice!  Added just a couple drops of RotiGreen to tint the water a bit more, but not much..it's still pretty green.

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 11:06:43 pm »

9-22-2010 - 10:30 PM - 20 more drops of RotiGreen and ChloramX went into the BRT this evening.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to:  

Valid XHTML 1.0! Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
Beyaz inci: deruni
Valid CSS!