Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Breeding Journal, Species: Lysmata wurdemanni  (Read 2686 times)
MDoty

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2017, 11:30:01 am »

Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General

Species: Lysmata wurdemanni
Social Structure: simultaneous hermaphroditism, I started with 3 shrimp but added a fourth one week later.
Size of Individuals: 1.5 inches
Age of Individuals: unknown
Date added to Tank: 7/22/2017

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 10 gallon tank
Substrate Details: none
Filtration Details: HOB Marine Land Bio Wheel Penguin 100
Water Changes: 20% monthly
Water Temperature: 80f
Lighting: Ambient from adjacent tanks
Lighting Cycle: roughly 7AM on and 9PM off
Other Tank Inhabitants: one Ocellaris clown

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: thawed brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, live copepods and brine shrimp  
Feeding Schedule: multiple times a day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 7/31/2017
Spawn Time of Day: night time, not witnessed
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 8/4/2017, 8/5/2017, they continue to have eggs almost all the time.
Courtship Details: nothing witnessed
Egg Size: less than 1mm
Egg Color: bright green at first, they turn kinda white then more silvery close to hatch
Egg Count:unknown, probably a couple hundred  

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 9/5/2017
Hatch Time of Day: 8:00 PM, an hour before lights turn off
# Days after Spawn: unknown, all four shrimp have eggs at pretty much any given time. Spawn dates have not been closely watched.
Larvae Description: very small mostly clear little shrimp, maybe 2 mm long. Decently good swimmers able to avoid the pipet pretty well.

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 80f
Size of Larval Tank: 15 Gallon BRT with about 5 gallons of water to start
Other Tank Decor: none
Filtration Details: none
Lighting: basic shop clamp light about 1.5 feet above the water
Lighting Cycle: 7 AM on and 10PM off
Water Changes: water changes to begin are done by adding about 2 quarts of fresh saltwater daily through a gravity fed drip, I set the drip to take about a half hour to drain the 2 quarts. Then every few days I remove enough water to get back to the starting point of around 5 gallons.

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: Newly hatched baby brine for at least the first week. I started feeding larger brine around two weeks post hatch.
Feeding Schedule: small amounts three times daily

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 10/3/2017 First shrimp went "missing" on 10/3/2017, found it on Thursday 10/5/2017 as a settled shrimp.
Days after Hatch: 28 days
Date of Settlement End: 10/5/2017
Description of Fry: They look like mini replicas of the parents, about the size of an amphipod. red and white with long antennae. They walk around on the bottom and sides of the BRT. Usually hanging out under the heater.

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature: 80f
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 15 Gallon BRT with about 5 gallons of water
Other Tank Decor: a couple pieces of PVC
Filtration Details: none, water changes only
Lighting: basic shop clamp light about 1.5 feet above the water
Lighting Cycle: 7 AM on and 10PM off
Water Changes: water changes to begin are done by adding about 2 quarts of fresh saltwater daily through a gravity fed drip, I set the drip to take about a half hour to drain the 2 quarts. Then every few days I remove enough water to get back to the starting point of around 5 gallons.
Size at Transfer: I moved one out of the BRT when it was a little over an inch long, almost adult size
Age at Transfer: moved one out of the BRT around 40 days post settlement

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: Brine raised to about 5mm long, I also added crushed flakes and occasionally copepods.  
Feeding Schedule: continuous, I add more shrimp once or twice a day so that they are always available. Flakes once a day or every other day.

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:44:24 pm by MDoty » Logged

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 11:37:15 am »

I walked into Petco to grab a 10 gallon tank during the $1/ gallon sale. I always check the saltwater section just out of curiosity and much to my surprise they had true Wurdemanni!  Shocked The employee said they haven't been able to get peppermint shrimp lately, but he found a new skew on the order list. He noticed they were a little different but didn't think anything of it. SCORE! I have an old breeding journal for these but I never got past a hatch before the adults all died off. Its been a good two years ago since I have been able to find these.

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 12:18:53 pm »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 12:19:46 pm »

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 12:20:25 pm »

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 12:32:18 pm »

These guys came with eggs! I probably won't try raising them but not ruling it out at this point.

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 08:01:21 pm »

All the the shrimp with eggs either hatched them or lost them. Today I found one with new eggs! Spawn number one.

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 08:15:29 pm »

eel-byte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 06:47:52 am »

Awesome
MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 12:15:28 am »

A second shrimp has eggs now, looks like the next will tomorrow. Spawns will be hard to track now, soon they should all be carrying eggs.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:19:04 am by MDoty » Logged

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 04:15:43 pm »

Last Saturday (7/29/2017) I added one more shrimp to the mix. I only picked up three of the four shrimp available the first time and was thinking about that fourth shrimp all week. I lucked out that it was still available. One of the shrimp look really close to hatch! Problem is... Ill be leaving for a couple days towards the end of the month. Do I try or do I wait until I'm back?  Undecided

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 01:52:26 am »

You can certainly try, as I can certainly care for any larvae you have going while you're away Wink

You only need to raise one...

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 09:14:25 pm »

I found a hatch last night. Strangely it was an hour before lights turn off. I scrambled and got a larval tank ready and scooped out babies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_--mLwNQEw

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 08:44:23 pm »

A brief description of what I have done up to this point (one week and one day post hatch). These guys hatched at a strange time, one hour before lights out. I really wasn't ready for them when I found them. I quickly scooped them out, and syphoned some, then added them to a BRT that I had on standby. I added about 2 gallons of fresh saltwater made to roughly 1.025 and then added about 3 gallons of water from the broomstick tank. I put the light on a timer set for 7AM on and 10PM off. I lucky had some baby brine hatched so I added them right away. I started adding fresh water via a gravity fed drip system on day two, thats when I started the fresh saltwater also. I have been adding top off water and saltwater daily. Note: I didn't add any rotifers nor did I add any rotigreen. I only have added fresh water for top off, fresh saltwater, and Baby brine.

MDoty

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 09:02:40 pm »

Yesterday I noticed they now have the paddles!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs4mHE_DOcQ

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Valid XHTML 1.0! Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
Beyaz inci: deruni
Valid CSS!