Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LSZOO Monthly Meeting - September 13th, 2017. 6PM til?  (Read 373 times)
mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2017, 11:44:57 pm »

Date: Wednesday, September 13th, 2017
Time: 6 PM until ?

This is our routine 2nd Wednesday of the Month meeting time at the Zoo.  These meetings will be considered closed meetings for known active LSMAC members / zoo staff & volunteers only (basically, these are project-oriented meetings for the Zoo's reef tank, having unknown people walking in off the street isn't appropriate for these meetings).  We welcome new participants, but we just have to plan accordingly: for details and first timers, please inquire.

Project planned: Mounting remaining corals from QT tank into main display.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:48:19 pm by mpedersen » Logged

You only need to raise one...

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 10:48:39 pm »

We have a good project for this meeting; looking forward to seeing folks there!

Pumbooris

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 12:38:49 am »

I hope I can make this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 11:14:31 pm »

Was great to have Ben, James, and Boomer join Megan and myself this month; we got a lot done! The biggest news, more frags went into the display, and we took in a few donations. Here's a quick rundown.

Part of the crew did a livestock census of the display tank prior to our additions, and I've added what went in tonight to the list. Here's what's on display at the Lake Superior Zoo's Reef Tank at this time:

All Captive-Bred Fish (except the Naso Tang, a 17 year old zoo fish if I'm not mistaken?)

2 Maze Angels
1 Naso Tang
3 Molly Miller Blennies
1 Crested Oyster Goby
4 Link's Gobies
1 Court Jester Goby
5 Ocellaris Clownfish (wild types and designers)
4 Orange Skunk Clownfish (A. sandaracinos)
3 Coral Beauties
1 Banggai Cardinalfish

On the Invert Side, all 100% cultured:
2 Variegated Sea Urchins
3 Red Bubble Tip Anemones
7 Trochus Snails

And for CORALS, all cultured at least F1 generation or greater

1 Green Fuzzy Rhodactis Mushroom
1 Devil's Finger Leather Coral
1 Large Kenya Tree, plus another smaller and a new mini (3 tottal)
2 heads of Hammer Coral of two different varieties
4 Brown Gorgonians (unknown variety, grows like a weed)
1 Large Chalice coral (brown with green eyes at the moment)
Numerous Claustrea Colonies of what appears to be 3 types; Neon Green, Mint Green, and Blue. Single head specimens up to larger fist size colonies at this time. We have a fourth type, often called "red" (brown with green centers) in the back, that we need to frag.
1 Green & Lime Favia/Favites Brain (big colony)
1 Small Red Acan Lord - this one had been rolling around in the reef and not doing well, so we had to mount it kinda vertically!
1 Aussie Platygyra - I fragged this myself, and there's a second colony still in QT in case the first doesn't fare well. I hope someday to have a piece of this back as it was one I specifically donated and loved..and somehow I lost all of mine!
1 Anacropra or Elkhorn Monti - I'm honestly not sure what this is or where it came from; I thought it was ORA, but no. There's more of it in QT still
1 very tiny Montipora setosa frag - I broke off a tiny chunk from the barely hanging in there frag in back...this may well be the only ORA coral still around. But it's here, and alive, and maybe, just maybe, we'll see some growth out of it. If we do, we'll bring the rest over in a couple months.
1 Unknown Brown SPS + a chunk - so we had this SPS coral in the back, brown, kinda lumpy, maybe it's a Stylophora from ORA? It was accidentally fragged, and well, a larger colony was put in with one of the gorgonian frags attached, and another small piece was mounted elsewhere. We'll have to keep an eye on things.
1 Purple Monti cap - this came from Mike (as did many of the corals listed above); he says that under the right conditions, this is a really vibrant purple. We shall see!

Ben brought some coral donations which were dipped and then put into QT tonight; a couple Xenia (looks like Silverbar), some GSP (green star polyp) and a small Kenya Tree.  Since this resets the QT clock on our QT system, now is the time to consider making donations, be it cash, or coral frags, to help us grow the diversity of the reef at the zoo. Oh, and thanks to Ben as well for literally handing me $15 for the club as well...all our money really goes to the zoo these days LOL!

I would hope to see more of you come out...many of you said "we should have a tank in a public place" and well, we have for 3 years!!

Among other things, the Zoo now needs proper fragging tools and equipment. Nitrile gloves, eyewear, more glue, face mask.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Valid XHTML 1.0! Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
Beyaz inci: deruni
Valid CSS!