Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: raising goldfish fry - suggestions please  (Read 2149 times)
blennieluvr

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2015, 08:14:23 am »

My 10 yr old daughter was given some goldfish fry to raise.  I thought it would make a great 4-H project.  The instructions we received with them was not to use any mechanical filtration with them, it's OK to feed every other day and to put them in a small container so they can find their food.  However, I read online, that we should feed them several times a day and that they need good oxygenation.  We have maybe 30 of them and they are in her 2g? tank.  I would say they range from 1/2" to 3/4" and their colors are starting to come in.  We fed flake crushed up flake food last eve (got them Sunday) and they seemed to eat it.  They came from a pond so we used lake water to set up the tank and we can do water changes with lake water too (hoping there are little bugs in there to supplement their diet). 

I thought I would add a bubbler with an airstone and/or sponge and up their feeding to twice a day.  We'll also plan to change out 25% of their water every other day.

She has been given just a few fry two other times and we have had no success keeping them but they were also smaller.  Also, we followed above advice without researching or looking for other info.

Does it sound like we might be on the right track?
mpedersen
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 11:15:27 pm »

Sponge filter....  Your plan at this point sounds good.

You only need to raise one...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Valid XHTML 1.0! Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
Beyaz inci: deruni
Valid CSS!